• Child had strep. Mother treated it with homeopathy.

     

    I suppose you can guess what happened next…

    The family of a Calgary woman facing criminal charges in connection with the death of her seven year old son say they’re in shock over the allegations of neglect.

    The boy, Ryan Alexander Lovett, died last March after suffering from a strep infection which kept him bedridden for 10 days.

    Police allege his mother, Tamara Lovett, 44, chose to treat the bacterial infection with homeopathic herbal remedies instead of taking him to a doctor.

    That decision likely killed the child, police say.

    Oh. My. Goodness. I can’t begin to imagine the complex web of horror that decision has created. The mother must be devastated. Her husband is likely gobsmacked. The siblings? I’m speechless.

    And the child… what kind of horror did he experience the ten days prior to his death.

    Every death is sad. A child’s death is horrific. A child’s preventable death is unimaginable.

    “It should absolutely serve as a warning to other parents. The message is simple: if your child is sick, take them to the doctor.

    It’s strange that while living in the 21 century, a police officer must say something like that. “If your child is sick, take them to the doctor.”

    And yet, as I peruse my Facebook page, I’m often surprised at the incredible wave of woo spouted by young parents each time one of them has a sick child. “Should I vaccinate?” “What herb works well for [insert illness here].” “I may have given my child autism because I accidentally fed him a non-organic vegetable!”

    “His liver had been overwhelmed. The report given to me was that he died of flesh-eating disease,” said Lovett.

    I guess homeopathic “solutions” don’t cure flesh-eating bacteria.

    This mother loved her child. She thought she was doing well by treating his illness “naturally.” Now she’s facing criminal negligence as well as “failing to provide the necessities of life” charges. After all, the child’s infection was evidently “easily treated with antibiotics such as penicillin.”

    A true horror story…

    Link

     

    Category: In the News

    Tags:

    Article by: Beth Erickson

    I'm Beth Ann Erickson, a freelance writer, publisher, and skeptic. I live in Central Minnesota with my husband, son, and two rescue pups. Life is flippin' good. :)

    10 comments

      1. Interesting idea. Imagine if it came true. You’d not only take out the homeopathic industry, but you could also influence vitamin sales with similar labels. Next thing you know, Walmart, Walgreens, Target, etc. would be quite unhappy. But then people would have more money for… whatever. I hardly dare imagine.

        Thanks for your comment. 🙂

    1. Suppose the article read “Child Had Strep, Mother Treated it with Allopathy.” Would you assume that allopathy (conventional medicine) doesn’t work? A lay person giving homeopathic remedies and a professional homeopath treating someone are two different things. Now if you just want to bash homeopathy, that’s another story….

      Child
      had strep. Mother treated it with homeopathy. – See more at:
      http://www.skepticink.com/incongruentelements/2013/12/11/child-had-strep-mother-treated-it-with-homeopathy/#sthash.gYPzFMzZ.dpuf

        1. I guess there was enough of an investigation to charge her. According to the quote in the final paragraph, the infection was bacterial. A simple antibiotic would have saved the child. The homeopathic remedy evidently did nothing to combat a bacterial infection. That’s just mind numbing.

    2. Hey, this almost happened to me! I was older at the time, 17, rather than 7. Strep throat, mis-“diagnosed” as a “cold”, treated with “natural” remedies. The fact that I kept getting worse was blamed on the fact that I was not conscientious enough in keeping up with the strenuous treatment regimen — gargling and drinking disgusting concoctions — because, well, it hurt like hell, was disgusting, and I just kept getting weaker. By the end of my ordeal, I was severely dehydrated, in a world of pain, and had a difficult time breathing. My older sister came visiting, and intervened, and took me to the emergency room. Once there, REAL medicine made everything better pretty quickly. So happy ending, but I don’t think the unhappy one was that far off…

      1. Thanks for your comment, Anna. Wow, what a story. It perfectly illustrates the point of the story: when in doubt, visit your trusted family doctor. You can get very ill from easily treatable conditions.

        1. Thanks for your comment. I recall taking chemistry class way back when. It was quite surprising to learn that everything is made of chemicals, including “natural” substances. Of course, some chemicals are better for us than others, but in the end… everything is a chemical of some sort.

    Leave a Reply to Sandra Courtney Cancel reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *